Thursday, September 18, 2008

Desires

And so, the struggle continues.

How do you deal with a friendship that's threatening to become more than just that without ruining it?

In the past, my instinct is simply to run away and hide. Literally. It actually worked for a while, but then the cycle continues and thus my life is marked by broken relationships which start off as something really promising and beautiful but end up abruptly, really bad or a combination of the two.

It seems like I can't keep a purely non-sexual relationship with another guy without getting scared that somehow along the way, I will either fall for him or worse, get betrayed. And so I am caught up in between two opposing extremes: shut myself off from the world and live life alone and extremely lonely or plunge myself into a world of anonymous trysts.

I was always told that the "biblical" way was to flee. And I have done just that. But I realized that fleeing is not really the answer. I have placed so much emphasis on the fleeing part when in fact, the main action is not the running away from something but the pursuit of something altogether.

In other words, I could do an excellent job secluding myself from the world but still burn with lustful desires in my heart. So I realized that stopping the friendship won't solve the issue; dealing with my heart is.

I am reminded by CS Lewis' words which I actually posted earlier: "If I find myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

Easier said than actually done. A bitter pill to swallow even. But then, it's the truth.

5 comments:

Liza's Eyeview September 21, 2008 at 1:33 AM  

Oh James, I wish I have the words to encourage you to "fight the good fight". I am glad you posted C.S. Lewis' words. All I can say is that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

francisrosos September 24, 2008 at 8:33 AM  

I bought this book of quotes from different people and this quote from Lewis was there. It also has this qoute from Oswald Chambers that goes:

"God does not give us overcoming life. He gives life as we overcome. The strain is the strength. If there is no strain, there is no strength. Are you asking God to give you life and liberty and joy? He cannot, unless you will accept the strain. Immediately you face the strain, you will get the strength... God never gives strength for tomorrow or for the next hour, but only for the strain of the minute."

Be strong brother. I'm praying for you.

Liza's Eyeview October 8, 2008 at 9:48 PM  

just checking on you ...

Be strong ... the Lord is with you. And I am praying ...

E-mail me if you need to.

Liza

Tom October 13, 2008 at 1:13 AM  

hows it going brother?
keep weathering the storm!

God bless

Anonymous,  October 22, 2008 at 8:39 PM  

Are you happy with the the way you are handling your 'relationships'?

Do not deny yourself of 'love' James....

xo

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP