Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tenses

And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. - Hebrews 11:6  NAS

When I read the Bible, I wonder what impact it will have on what I understand (or what I think I understand of it,) when I consider that the very Person who inspired its writing, is in fact, beyond time.

What happens to all the verbs that we see here and there?

What do we make of Jewish history taught to us as stories in Sunday School? Of ancient prophecies? Of the promises we were taught in church to claim as our own?

Perhaps, this time, we can understand better.

When both past and future converge to become the eternal present, history becomes personal. It's not simply THEIR story but OURS too. It's not just his loss but mine as well.

And most of all, tomorrow's promises become today's norms.

Maybe, just maybe: this is what it means to have faith in a God who IS.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP